East Coast Sea Kayaking Club

Home > Home
Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race 2011 PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
Friday, 19 August 2011 08:54




The race was postponed due to Small Craft Warning.

The Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race scheduled for Sunday 4th September was postponed because Met Eireann issued a Small Craft Warning.

Met Eireann predicted (and we got) F6 winds gusting from South.

As safety is a prime concern, the organisers postponed the race.

We propose to re-schedule the race in two weeks time on Sunday, 18th September on the same course.





Dublin Bay Sea Kayak Race 2011
Sunday 4th September 12:00
Bullock Harbour, Dalkey, Co Dublin
Last year we had 43 people turn out for the first Dublin Bay kayak race (in many years) and this
year we hope to make the event one of the highlights of the Irish sea kayak racing calendar.   So come along to this most historic part of Dublin Bay and circumnavigate Dalkey Island, where our Mesolithic ancestors once explored over 5300 years ago! 
The area is now home to some famous residents including 3 bottlenose dolphins!
The route will be the same as last year, with the Racing class taking in 3 laps of Dalkey Island covering 16.5km.  The Touring Class will do 2 laps of Dalkey Island and will be 11km and the Novice and Sit-on category will be 3km in length.
Entry forms will be available on the day and registration will begin at 10:00
There will be food and refreshments afterwards, with prizes for all categories.
Entry fee:   €20 singles  €30 doubles
Last Updated on Sunday, 18 September 2011 20:23


0 #1 Eddie O'Shea 2011-09-14 21:48
The (postponed) Dublin Bay sea kayak race will take place this Sunday (18th).
The planned venue (Bulloch-Dalkey ) is not likely to work out. Wind conditions are too strong to provide adequate safely during the race.

As Option A. (above) is not looking good we are looking at (two) alternatives that provide better safety:
B. River Liffey racing upriver and down river from Poolbeg Yacht Club; and
C. Racing along Bray sea front out of Bray Sailing Club.

What ever option we pick we will need help with rescues.
If you are available on the day and competent with sea rescues let us know (here or by text).

We will publish the race venue on Friday.

There is a bit more prep work to be done before we agree on the best option.