Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Handheld Two Way Radio

Handheld Two Way Radio 3 years 4 months ago #15180

• Alex Yarmoshko
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
Thanks Colin,

I do not view my question as a substitute for a course and a licence but rather as a clarification of the legal boundaries. So far providers for VHF courses in Dublin area are either stopped courses until the further notice or have places some-time-later-you-will-be-notified :)

Alex.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Handheld Two Way Radio 3 years 4 months ago #15181

• Ben Mac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 296
Hi Alex

You are wondering about the legal position....

And well you might, since clear and authoritative guidance from official sources is thin on the ground. It's almost as if the authorities have no interest in public understanding and compliance with regard to this subject....

It would be quite a job of work to figure out the legal position with certainty. I haven't done that work and I don't know anyone who has. It would involve trawling through dozens of amendments to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926 and it might require referring to relevant international maritime law.

I am open to correction from someone who has done more homework, but I think the position is something like this:

The owner of a recreational vessel is not obliged to have a marine radio on board their vessel, but if they do, they must hold a Ship's Radio Licence.

Where a marine radio is carried on a vessel, there must be at least one qualified marine radio operator on board and only a qualified person may use it (although, "necessity" can be an effective defence to a charge in a life or death situation).
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Ben Mac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds